Mission & Vision
The Bronx Community Research Review Board’s (BxCRRB) mission is to ERADICATE health inequities* that exist in marginalized communities in the Bronx. With RADICAL LOVE for our neighbors, we aim to:
1) TRANSFORM the culture of health research in our borough (from top-down to bottom-up) by increasing the power of those who are researched; 2) PROTECT the health of the Bronx through community engagement, our research review process, and promoting the return of research findings back to impacted persons and communities; 3) INSIST on the shared ownership of benefits and products of research; 4) PROVIDE **healing-centered education to Bronx patients AND researchers, through our Community Engaged Research Academy (CERA).
- The LIVED EXPERIENCES of marginalized and minoritized peoples in healthcare and in research.
- The SELF-DETERMINATION of Bronx residents, patients, and caregivers– as it pertains to the research conducted on us and in The Bronx.
- RIGOROUS COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT that sustains high levels of community participation from the planning stages, to collecting data, to sharing the findings of the project. Rigorous community engagement must also compensate individuals for their expertise.
- MEANINGFUL COLLABORATION, for example, between patients, community based organizations, researchers, and health care providers. Meaningful collaboration must include transparency, shared: decision making power, understanding, and accountability.
- A STRENGTH BASED APPROACH TO RESEARCH, which demands that the research process educates, affirms, uplifts, and empowers people to better advocate for themselves and their communities.
- CREATING A HEALTHIER BRONX through community outreach, the creation of forums, Community Engaged Research Academies, workshops, and social media to inform residents of their rights in research and relevant research findings that impact the communities of the Bronx.